Get your STILLMAG.COM and S.T.I.L.L. Magazine© Merch HERE!!!

Friday, May 29, 2009

JAE MICHELLE - "Beautiful Mind & Body"


By Shamora Evans



Name: Jae Michelle

Hometown: Compton, California

Sign: Cancer

Measurements: 34-27-34

Website: Upnextis.com

League: Majors!!!


S.T.I.L.L.: At what age did you begin modeling?

JAE MICHELLE: I began modeling at 21, like, ‘This is what I wanna do as a career’. So, when I was little, my mom took me to audition, and I went to a McDonald's commercial audition, but when I was a kid, I was really, really shy. Then, when I got older, me and my friend would go to take photos at this local photo studio, like, every day, and people would tell me that I was very pretty. Then, I started really getting into modeling and the agencies when I turned 21.

S.T.I.L.L.: WHAT TYPE(S) OF MODEL ARE YOU?

JAE MICHELLE: I would like to do commercial print [modeling], but right now, I do lingerie and bikini modeling. I have a photo on my MySpace that I was like 21 or 22 in, but what I'm noticing now in the industry is that a lot of girls are being “video models”. I would like to do an ad campaign; at some point, I want to get into print.

S.T.I.L.L.: DID YOU ATTEND A MODELING SCHOOL, OR WERE YOU "DISCOVERED"?

JAE MICHELLE: No, I didn't attend a modeling school. I was selected to attend a modeling school called “John Robert Powers” when I was in the mall (when I was 19), and they called me back for an audition, and I read. But, we went to a modeling agency, and they told my mom, “Don't let them sell you a portfolio”. So, I started modeling myself and started looking online and finding photographers, and I found one that told me the best thing to do is to continue taking pictures, and just always keep them updated. So, basically, I discovered myself! (Laughs) But, technically, I haven't been "discovered" yet...

S.T.I.L.L.: HAVE YOU EVER BEEN A VIDEO MODEL, OR WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER BEING A VIDEO MODEL?

JAE MICHELLE: Yeah, I've been a video model before. I was in my friend's video; he has a rap group called "Fly Society", and the members are "H.I.T", “TK.” (the pro skater, which is the Captain of Pharrell’s skate team), and "Currency" (who used to be signed to Lil Wayne). And, I was in their video called "Fresh", and "Hit" asked me to be his feature model in the video. But, I was also asked to be in T.I.'s video, "What You Know", and I was in the first season of "Wild 'N Out" doing a lot of audience appearances for the show, and in 50 Cent's "Refuse to Die" video on HBO.


S.T.I.L.L.: IF YOU WERE ASKED TO BE A MODEL IN A HIP HOP ARTIST'S MUSIC VIDEO, WHOSE VIDEO WOULD YOU MOST LIKE TO APPEAR IN?

JAE MICHELLE: OMG! If I had a choice, it would be Plies. I love Plies!! (Laughs) I like videos that have, like, one girl, and she's really sexy, or really pretty; none of that “hoochie mama” stuff. I like the more mature rappers that have, like, one chick, just a single featured girl, like maybe Kanye.

S.T.I.L.L.: IS THERE ANY PARTICULAR MAGAZINE(S) THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO BE THE COVER MODEL FOR?

JAE MICHELLE: When I first started modeling, my goal was to be in KING Magazine, but since they're no longer in production, I would say the next best thing would be Smooth or Black Man Magazine (if they still have that magazine) would be another one.

S.T.I.L.L.: WHAT, IN YOUR OPINION, IS THE BEST PART OF BEING A MODEL?

JAE MICHELLE: The best part of being a model, for me, is that I get to take pictures. I LOVE to do it; that's something that I enjoy doing. I have a website called SpillthaBeanz.com, and with me being able to take pictures, most people don't tend to read unless there's something to attract them to it. So, I like being a model because it helps me to show off my writing talent because they're drawn in by my looks first. Also, it's fun because I get to meet a lot of people.

S.T.I.L.L.: TELL US ABOUT YOUR FIRST PROFESSIONAL PHOTO SHOOT.

JAE MICHELLE: My very first photo shoot was with a guy that I met offline, and I didn't really know what to expect because it was my first time meeting him and working with him before. And, before we shot, his wife was a make-up artist, and she put soo much make-up on me. But, when you go to my MySpace, the black and white photo was the result of my first photo shoot, and I had like four or five outfits, and I was a little nervous, but it turned out good. I still get compliments on that photo shoot to this day.

S.T.I.L.L.: ASIDE FROM MODELING, DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER CAREER(S)?

JAE MICHELLE: When I'm not modeling, I write poetry. I’d like to go to ‘spoken word’ poetry, but I don't know where any really are. One day, I want to be an author but, for now, I just write on my blog site, and eventually, I want to do hosting. Right now, I'm just doing write-ups on spillthabeanz.com and taking pictures. I’m also going to school for Journalism because I want to be a writer one day.

S.T.I.L.L.: WHAT DO YOU HOPE YOUR MODELING CAREER WILL HELP YOU ACHIEVE IN THE FUTURE?

JAE MICHELLE: With my modeling career, I hope to host on TV on, like, E!, BET, MTV, VH-1, and veejaying is okay, I guess, but that's temporary…I don't really wanna do that. I want people to not just see me as a pretty face and, read my writings, and see my work. I just hope that my modeling leads me to be a really successful host, and work, in entertainment television. I want people to think that what I say (in my opinion) is important, like, "Well, Jae Michelle says...". (Laughs)