Get your STILLMAG.COM and S.T.I.L.L. Magazine© Merch HERE!!!

Thursday, August 20, 2009

G5-Gi: "Ghetto Intelligence 101"


By Shamora Evans


SM: After reading your MySpace page, I've learned that your stage name says a lot about you as a rapper. Tell our readers what "G5-Gi" stands for and why you chose that name.

G5-Gi: To start it off, it was originally just ""GI" because, like, I had nobody in the music industry that I wanted to look up to, like a rapper or a singer. So, I looked up to my brother because he was a rapper. He rapped, so I wanted to rap. So, he put out a CD called "Ghetto Intelligence", and I took the name from that and just put the "Gi". Then, the "G5" came along because it describes my style, like I'm flying high like the G5 airplane. And, that's pretty much how it came about.

SM: Alright, so now that everybody knows your name, we can get to the 'meat and potatoes'. You were born in the "Dirty South", raised in New York, and grew up in Canada...How has the sound of your music been influenced by your exposure to both "southern" hip hop and "northern" hip hop?

G5-Gi: Well, it let me experience both sides of the music with what's going on right now in the music industry. That's something that a lot of people don't get to do, so my experience from that is letting me know what to do, and what NOT to do, with my music.

SM: Your fans have compared you to some of the hottest, and most talented, rappers on the hip hop scene right now; "Ludacris", "T.I.", and "Fabolous". Do you agree with these comparisons, or do you feel your sound is somewhat different?

G5-Gi: I agree with the comparisons to a certain extent...Like, "Fabolous", his flow is dope, and he got the lyrics on smash. And, "Ludacris", I got to see him first-hand because he performed at a school out here, and his live show performance is SERIOUS. So, everything that I learned from them, in my experience, it let me generate my own type of personality...Who I want to be and what I want to sound like. Like, I wanna get out and do my own thing now. So, you can compare me to them to a certain extent...I agree with that.

SM: Okay, let's talk about your appearance on DJ Green Lantern's "Grand Theft Auto" mixtape. What's the name of the song placement you had on it that's gotten you so much recognition, and who produced the track?

G5-Gi: The name of the song was, actually, called "Lifted", but it was a lot of music that was made for that CD, and a lot of it got rearranged, and that song ended up on the mixtape. By the end of the first day, it had 60,000 plus mixtape downloads within, like, 12 different downloads. That was real huge for me, and I'd say that was my first industry break, right there. I, actually, did the song with one of Green Lantern's artists, and he goes by the name "Quadir", and he's the same guy who got the song on the video game "Grand Theft Auto 4". And, the song was produced by a local guy named "Jacob the Producer".

SM: Cool, cool. So, I peeped out a few tracks on your MySpace page, and I noticed you have a song called "Friends With Money" featuring "Drake". How did you get in contact with "Drake" to feature on the track?

G5-Gi: Well, by Drake being so close to Toronto, and Buffalo, New York is, like, right there, my manager was connected with his former managers, "40" and Oliver. We were on the same stop together on the "So Far Gone" tour, and by us both being so busy, I pretty much just asked him if he would get on the "Kush". So, when he got back to Toronto, he sent me the "Friends With Money" track, and I hopped on it.

SM: Now, you have another song featuring "Lloyd" called "Let's Go", which actually has the most plays of all the songs on your player. What was your inspiration for that track, and why did you choose Lloyd's sound for it?

G5-Gi: Well, the track was originally already done and was supposed to be on his album "Lessons in Love", but it somehow didn't make it. But, his manager sent the song over, and I laid the vocals on it, and it winded up being a big success. I don't know what they're gonna do with that track, but I've just been promoting it myself.

SM: Alright, your mixtape, "EarDrum Kush", is scheduled for release next month. Tell us what fans and listeners can expect to hear on your upcoming project, and who handled production on the project?

G5-Gi: Umm...I, pretty much, just wanted to put it out there and see what songs people are gonna gravitate to the most. Like, a lot of DJs play my stuff in the clubs all the time, so whichever ones they pick the most, that's what I'm gonna go with.

SM: Have you chosen the first single to be released from "EarDrum Kush" yet and, if so, what is it called and about?

G5-Gi: We haven't officially came up with the one that'll be a single yet, but we do have the "Lloyd" song that's real huge and turning up a lot, so that one might end up being the major song and first single.

SM: Okay, so you're signed to Sony BMI/First Fam, and you just did a big show with "Drake" in NY a few months ago in April; when and where is your next live show?

G5-Gi: The next live show is going to be in York, Pennsylvania with "Lloyd" on Friday, September 4, 2009 at "Club XS", 36 W. 11th Avenue, and I'll be performing around 11 p.m.

SM: How can your fans get a copy of the new mixtape and keep up with you, and how can you be reached by those with business inquiries?

G5-Gi: Basically, if they want the cd, it's a free digital download. I made it "FREE" so nobody would sleep on it, and the fans can contact me on MySpace at www.myspace.com/gimusicpage, on Twitter at www.twitter.com/g5gi, and at www.G5Gi.com. And, for business, they can contact my manager, Derrick Jackson at dajackson11@gmail.com.