Get your STILLMAG.COM and S.T.I.L.L. Magazine© Merch HERE!!!

Saturday, August 15, 2009

F.A.C.E.: "Da Life I Know"

By Shamora Evans

SM: ALRIGHT, SO WE KNOW YOU LISTENED TO A LOT OF HIP HOP'S GREATEST RAPPERS, INCLUDING "TUPAC", "BIGGIE", AND "CAPONE" (of "CNN"). BUT, HOW LONG HAVE YOU ACTUALLY BEEN A RAPPER?

F.A.C.E.: I’ve been writing and spittin' since I was little, but went hard on it when I was 21, so it’s been about six years.

SM: TELL US HOW YOU HOOKED UP WITH "CHEDDA RECORDS".

F.A.C.E.: My cousin, "Big Mighty", been down with "Mr. B" and Nel for many years, and we eventually linked up and decided to create our own indie label.

SM: NOW, AFTER YOU SIGNED WITH "CHEDDA", YOU RECENTLY SIGNED A DEAL WITH KOCH/URBAN VEIN AND PERFORMED AT "MUSIKFEST". HOW DID THAT GO DOWN?

F.A.C.E.: Wow…We've been after this deal for three years; traveling to NY for meetings and sending them material. It was a long ride with them. A good testament on how you can never stop grindin'! The "Musikfest" show was crazy. A lot of my fans came out to see me...Also, we did interviews for LUTV and chilled with "Tony Sunshine".

SM: THAT'S ALL IT IS; CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR RECENT SUCCESS! SO, YOU HAVE A SONG CALLED "DA LIFE I KNOW", WHICH WAS RATED ONE OF THE "TOP 5" TRACKS ON THE WEBSITE "HIPHOPDX". WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO DO THAT TRACK, AND HOW DID YOU LINK UP WITH "JOELL ORTIZ"?

F.A.C.E.: Thanks. I appreciate that. Yeah, it was rated high on HIPHOPDX. I didn’t even know; I was shocked and happy, considering all the good music that was posted that week. Over all, we got good feedback. I wanted to do a track about the life I know growing up, so we laced it, and I kept hearing "Joell Ortiz" on it. So, I had my producer (Mr.B) contact him for a verse. When he sent his verse back, no lie, I had to redo my verses 'cause Joell is so talented I had to step it up on my track. I held my own, though.

SM: OKAY, SO YOU DID A VIDEO FOR YOUR SONG "ONLY OPTION". TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT THAT TRACK AND HOW YOU WERE ABLE TO GET IT FEATURED ON "HEADLINERS DVD MAGAZINE".

F.A.C.E.: "Only Option"...Well, it speaks for itself. I felt this music might be my only option out the 'hood and out the struggle. It’s like, coming from where I'm from, there ain't too many options out of a hostile environment, so I gotta find ways out. I’m pretty sure there’s a lot of people feel the same way tryin' to make it out...Some do, some don’t. But, I will find a way. My producer, Mr.B, hit "Drizz" up, and we shot the video in Harlem.

SM: ALRIGHT, AND YOU DID A TRACK WITH "FLO RIDA" ON THE "COAST2COAST" VOL. 17 MIXTAPE. WHAT'S THE TITLE OF THE SONG AND, FOR THOSE WHO HAVEN'T HEARD IT YET, WHAT IS THE SONG ABOUT?

F.A.C.E.: I was featured on the same mixtape "Flo-Rida" was on "Thru Coast2Coast". It was a blend of two songs; we called it "Buck, Buck, B.O.S.S.". It was, basically, freestyle verses.

SM: ARE YOU WORKING ON ANY MUSIC PROJECTS RIGHT NOW AND, IF SO, WHAT ARE YOU IN THE STUDIO WORKING ON NOW?

F.A.C.E.: Yeah, I'm always in the studio. Right now, I'm finishing up a song I got with "Max B"...It's probably my next single; be on the look out for that. I just finished my second mixtape, "Faces of Death Pt. 2". You can find that on DatPiff.com, and I'm working on my album with some dope artists.

SM: AS FAR AS PRODUCTION ON YOUR PROJECT(S), WHO'S HANDLING THE MUSIC PRODUCTION?

F.A.C.E.: Right now, Mr.B is handling most of my production, but we have some tracks produced by "MdotMusic" and a couple of other hot producers.

SM: WHEN CAN FANS/FUTURE FANS EXPECT TO HEAR SOMETHING FROM YOU AS A RESULT OF YOUR NEW DEAL WITH KOCH?

F.A.C.E.: If everything goes as planned, we are looking to drop my single "Da Life I Know" featuring "Joell Ortiz" within the next month, followed by my album shortly after.

SM: HOW CAN LISTENERS AND FANS KEEP UP WITH YOU?

F.A.C.E.: They can check me out at my websites: http://www.myspace.com/facebeast, http://www.myspace.com/cheddarecords, or hit me up on Tw
itter.