Get your STILLMAG.COM and S.T.I.L.L. Magazine© Merch HERE!!!

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

NICK BOOTS: "Living The Dream"


By Shamora Evans


S.T.I.L.L.: WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON RIGHT NOW, AS FAR AS YOUR MUSIC?

NICK BOOTS: I have a bunch of mixtape projects I am working on...Three, actually; "The Invasion" with my business partner "A.B.", "Loyalty", and "I Hate the Radio 4". You gotta check out "I Hate The Radio" 1, 2, and 3! I like staying productive.

S.T.I.L.L.: HOW IS YOUR RAP STYLE DIFFERENT THAN A LOT OF OTHER RAPPERS?

NICK BOOTS: I don't try to emulate that "auto-tune", candy-coated, "bubble gum" type of hip hop. I'm not knocking it...It's just not me. I like hard beats and nasty lyrics. I use a lot of word-play. I'm not afraid to try something different and step out of my comfort zone.


S.T.I.L.L.: I CHECKED OUT YOUR MYSPACE PAGE, AND YOU HAVE A SONG ON IT THAT I LOVE CALLED “DREAM”. WHAT WAS YOUR INSPIRATION FOR THAT SONG?

NICK BOOTS: Well, believe it or not, there are still a bunch of people who think I am chasing a dream. They think my goals are unrealistic and my means to execute them are flawed. They, basically, don't believe I have what it takes. I made that song for them. Dream big...Go hard. The sky is not the limit; there are footprints on the moon.

S.T.I.L.L.: TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR THOUGHTS WHEN YOU WERE WORKING ON THE TRACK “FRIENDS AND FOES”, AND WHO PRODUCED IT?

NICK BOOTS: I have a trust issue. Who doesn't, right? You shouldn't trust anyone who says "Trust me". They shouldn't even have to say that. Recently, I've had a couple of people close to me show their true colors. And I came to the conclusion that your enemies are more reliable than your friends. At least you know what your enemy's intentions are.

S.T.I.L.L.: HOW DID YOU MANAGE TO GET CONNECTED WITH “FREEWAY”, “PEEDI CRAKK”, ETC. TO OPEN FOR THEIR SHOWS?

NICK BOOTS: My long time friend, "Versus", set all that up. I just happened to be at the right place at the right time.

S.T.I.L.L.: ARE YOU SIGNED TO A LABEL YET AND, IF SO, WHAT COMPANY ARE YOU SIGNED WITH?

NICK BOOTS: I am signed with Royalty Family Music Group (www.royaltymusicgroup.com). They treat me good. They let me do my thing and have faith in me. That's all I need. The relationship with them is still young, though. Let's see where it goes by the end of the year.

S.T.I.L.L.: WHAT MUSIC ARTISTS INSPIRED YOU TO BECOME A HIP HOP ARTIST?

NICK BOOTS: When I was really young, I used to listen to "Puff Daddy" and "Biggie" a lot. After Biggie was murdered, I moved on to "Jay-Z" and "Eminem". I can still remember where I was when I first heard all three of those artists. I really needed an outlet, and it was either fight, or write. So, I began to write.

S.T.I.L.L.: IS THERE AN ALBUM, OR MIXTAPE, AVAILABLE FOR FANS AND/OR LISTENERS TO CHECK OUT?

NICK BOOTS: Yes, I have so much going on. Not only the mixtapes I mentioned before, but I'm also working on an album. I don't know the title yet, but I can promise it's going to be phenomenal. I will have my newest mixtapes done in a few weeks. Check out DatPiff.com, or download my ringtones from myxer.com... Already over 10,000 downloaded!

S.T.I.L.L.: NOW, I RECENTLY READ AN ARTICLE ABOUT YOU SIGNING A CLOTHING DEAL WITH “MISKEEN”. HOW DID YOU GET LINKED WITH “MISKEEN” FOR THAT TO GO DOWN?

NICK BOOTS: "DJ Hollywood" introduced me to the reps from Miskeen...Great people, by the way. And we decided to throw a huge event in Philly. It went well, and the rest is history. And it's not, technically, a deal because no paperwork is involved. It's a relationship.


S.T.I.L.L.: DO YOU HAVE ANY UPCOMING SHOWS WHERE FANS CAN CATCH YOU LIVE, AND HOW CAN YOUR FANS KEEP UP WITH YOU ONLINE?

NICK BOOTS: I have a show at Club 27 in Philly and a show at Kildare's in Newark, DE, both to be announced (TBA), and many more coming up. Just check my MySpace to stay updated (myspace.com/itsnickboots). I always like hearing from fans about what they like and don't like. I take constructive criticism well. "Haters" are also welcome! (Laughs)