Get your STILLMAG.COM and S.T.I.L.L. Magazine© Merch HERE!!!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

“TYDIS: In Da Game”

By Shamora Evans

SM: I CHECKED OUT YOUR MUSIC, AND I LIKE YOUR SOUND! LET'S BEGIN WITH AN INTRODUCTION FOR THOSE WHO ARE A LITTLE LATE HEARING ABOUT YOU. AND, THEN, WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON RIGHT NOW?


TYDIS: I’m currently working on my mix-tape titled “Tydis in Da Game: Volume 2”. I
recently put out a mix-tape with “DJ Cosign”, and it was downloaded over a half of a million times. I am also working on my self-titled album, “Tydis”.


SM: GREAT! SO, FIRST, LET'S TALK ABOUT YOUR SONG "BREATHE" BECAUSE IT HAS OVER 4.2 MILLION PLAYS ON MYSPACE, AND THAT MEANS LISTENERS ARE LOVIN' IT. HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH THE SONG, AND WHO HANDLED PRODUCTION FOR THE TRACK?

TYDIS: I came up with “Breathe” in the studio one night, thinking how anyone can relate to experiencing love. “The Trak Starz” handled production for the track.

SM: COOL...NOW, I LIKE YOUR SONG "BOTTLES POP", TOO. IT HAS A REAL 'CLUB' FEEL TO IT, BUT I HEARD A COUPLE DIFFERENT VOICES ON IT. WHO DID YOU BRING ON FOR THIS SONG, AND WHAT AUDIENCE DID YOU WRITE "BOTTLES POP" FOR?

TYDIS: “Sham”, from “The Trak Starz”, and “Don Yute” are also on the song. I wrote “Bottles Pop” for the older audience. It’s a “feel good” song with a reggae feel.

SM: WELL, IT CAME TOGETHER VERY NICELY. BUT, YOU HAVE A NEW SONG CALLED "MAKE ME SAY" FEATURING THE "NEW BOYZ". TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR NEW SINGLE AND HOW YOU HOOKED UP WITH THE "NEW BOYZ" FOR THIS COLLAB.

TYDIS: “Make Me Say’ is a record for the ladies, lyrically, but I’m not going to put a limit on the listeners because it makes everyone want to move. The “New Boyz” heard the record and instantly knew they had to hop on the track.


SM: WELL, IT MAKES ME SAY "AYY", TOO, SO THAT'S WHAT'S GOOD! (LAUGHS) ALRIGHT, SO I'M NOTICING THAT YOU SEEM TO PREFER MORE UPTEMPO TRACKS, WHICH IS WHAT'S MOST POPULAR IN THE INDUSTRY RIGHT NOW. HAVE YOU, OR DO YOU, SING BALLADS, TOO?

TYDIS: Yes, I do sing ballads. I write all genres of music; I don’t limit myself.

SM: OKAY, AND YOU'RE SIGNED WITH "TRAK STARZ/HITZ COMMITTEE/JIVE RECORDS". HOW DID YOU GET YOUR 'BIG BREAK'?

TYDIS: I got my big break by my manager, Travis Nelson. We’ve been together for the longest time...like “Baby” and “Lil Wayne”. (Laughs) “The Trak Starz” were hearing about our internet and city buzz, so they contacted us, and then we united. I’ve known “Memphitz” for a while now. He was, actually, listening to a record of mine at Jive. They asked who I was, then contacted my manager. We went to Jive and blew their socks off. I just recently hooked up with Tiffany J. and Blue Williams of Family Tree to also help with my management.

SM: AWESOME! ANOTHER THING I NOTICED WHEN REVIEWING YOUR MUSIC WAS THAT YOU'RE A 'PROLIFIC SONGWRITER', AND I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU ON THAT FROM WHAT I'VE HEARD THUS FAR...DO YOU WRITE FOR OTHER ARTISTS AS WELL AND, IF NOT, WOULD YOU CONSIDER DOING THAT AS A PART OF YOUR MUSIC CAREER?

TYDIS: As of right now, I don’t write for any artist besides myself. In the near future, I am writing for other artists. I’m not going to reveal any names; just know big things are coming. I take my craft very seriously, though. It’s an art form for me, and I’m painting pictures on my tracks.

SM: NOW, LET'S CHAT A BIT ABOUT YOUR ENDEAVORS OUTSIDE OF YOUR MUSIC. YOU'RE ALSO AN ACCOMPLISHED ACTOR. SHARE WITH US A LITTLE ABOUT YOUR ACTING EXPERIENCE(S).

TYDIS: Growing up, I performed in plays at school, mostly in high school. I played “Romeo” in “Romeo and Juliet”. I would always land the lead roles, and my classmates would wonder how. It was because I would never over think acting. My influences are “Will Smith”, “Brad Pitt”, “Denzel Washington”, as well as many other actors. Acting is definitely something I’m involved in.


SM: AND, YOU HAVE AN INTEREST IN THE FASHION INDUSTRY, AND I'M VERY INTERESTED IN HEARING ABOUT YOUR PLANS FOR A FASHION LINE CALLED "HONEY BEE". WHAT MARKET WILL YOU BE TARGETING WITH YOUR FASHION LINE?

TYDIS: I, actually, have two lines. “Honeybee” targets the younger girls, and “Titus”, which is more universal, targets everyone. “Titus” is a very casual line withpieces that never go out of style.

SM: OH, WELL, THAT'S WHAT'S UP! WE'LL BE LOOKING FOR IT...SO, BACK TO THE MUSIC...DO YOU HAVE ANY LIVE PERFORMANCES COMING UP THAT FANS CAN ATTEND, AND HOW CAN THEY STAY IN THE LOOP ONLINE CONCERNING YOUR MUSIC?

TYDIS: I don’t have any set dates for live performances, right now. I’ve been working,
but I am going on tour. All my fans can stay in the loop online, concerning my music, on Myspace.com/Tydis and Twitter.com (@Tydis88).