Get your STILLMAG.COM and S.T.I.L.L. Magazine© Merch HERE!!!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"Micki Barocca is 'Sonically Speaking'"









By Shamora Evans

SM: FIRST, I WANNA SAY THAT YOUR MUSIC IS A WONDERFUL BREAK FROM THE EVERYDAY "RAH-RAH" ON THE RADIO...HOW DID YOU GET YOUR START IN "SOUL/FUNK" MUSIC?

Micki B.: Thank you…That is always refreshing to hear (Laughs). I, too, have grown tired of some of the things that I hear on the radio. As a young girl growing up in a household of music lovers, I was urged to check out different artists that I did not know that much about. So, I got my ear in tune to listen to all kinds of artists from “Chaka Kahn” to “Marvin Gaye”, “Michael Jackson”, “Earth, Wind, and Fire”, the “O’Jays”, “Roberta Flack”, and the list goes on and on. My mother and father used to sing a lot of songs by different artists all through the house, so I adapted. I have loved music from a young child. As I grew older, I began listening to artists like the “Brand New Heavies”, Rachelle Farrell”, “Sade”, “Miles Davis”, “Bob Marley”, and many other artists. So, those flavors of sound really got in me and stayed there and, as an artist, all those different genres have found their way into my music.

SM: COOL...SO LET'S GET INTO YOUR MUSIC. I LIKE THE "FREE" FEEL OF YOUR SONG "PUNCH DRUNK". WHAT INSPIRED YOU TO WRITE "PUNCH DRUNK"?

Micki B.: “Punch Drunk” is a very funky, upbeat jam that my producer (“Soul X”) and I created in the studio one day. We just wanted to get away from all the other topics for a minute and just jam. Having fun is what loving music is all about and, at times, we don’t want to take everything so seriously. Sometimes we want to laugh and get high off of life and the fact that we are blessed to be able to create.

SM: NOW, ON YOUR SONG "OXYGEN", I COULDN'T HELP BUT TO NOTICE THE "D'ANGELO" INFLUENCE ON THE TRACK. WHAT IS IT ABOUT HIS MUSIC THAT INSPIRES YOU WHEN YOU BEGIN WORKING ON YOUR OWN PROJECTS?

Micki B.: First, I have to say that he is one of my favorite male artists/singers. I love the intoxicating energy of his lyrics and the smoothness of his vocals. You can tell that he loves what he does when sings, and he definitely reminds me of “Marvin”, who was another
phenomenal artist who has inspired me.

SM: THE OTHER SONG I'M REALLY FEELIN' IS "RUN YA FINGAZ" BECAUSE I'M ALSO A FAN OF "SADE" AND "JILL SCOTT", AND THE SONG WAS MUCH LIKE A SONG THAT THEY WOULD RECORD. WHAT WERE YOUR THOUGHTS WHEN YOU WEREWRITING "RUN YA FINGAZ"?

Micki B.: I have to say, ‘Wow!’ What a comparison…I am flattered because the two named artists are two very unique, and extremely talented, ‘sistahs’. [They are] Two more of my favorite artists, I have to say. Of all of my tracks, “Run Ya Fingaz” is also one of my personal favorites. I, actually, wrote that song in the studio and recorded it in one session. The inspiration was…I had this thought of having an amazing love and being so taken in spiritually by his presence that I didn’t want him to leave.

SM: WOW; THAT’S DEEP…ALRIGHT, LET'S TALK ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING ALBUM, "SONICALLY SPEAKING". TELL US A LITTLE ABOUT THE ALBUM AND WHAT WE CAN EXPECT TO HEAR.

Micki B.: First, this project took some time to complete, not because it was difficult to do, but because life has given me and others working on this project (what I like to call) a few ‘necessary interruptions’ here and there. However, we all have worked hard and pushed forward to get things done. I wanted this first album to be a mixture of some of the many genres of music that I love. I think that the audience will be pleased to hear a variety of sounds. As an artist, I don’t like to get stuck in a genre because I love so many different forms of music. With this album you’re gonna get some ‘funk’, ‘soul’, ‘reggae’, ‘jazz’, and even some poetry.

SM: WELL, IF IT'S GONNA BE ANYTHING LIKE WHAT I'VE HEARD OF YOUR MUSIC THUS FAR, IT'S GOING TO BE A GREAT ALBUM...WHAT PRODUCERS DID YOU WORK WITH FOR THE PRODUCTION OF "SONICALLY SPEAKING"?

Micki B.: The producers that I have worked with who have made this project so incredible are Robert Hutnyk (aka “Soul X”) for Castle Grooves Music (New Jersey/Philadelphia) and Jackie ‘Dink’ Robinson out of South Carolina. Both of these guys are extremely talented. I can’t imagine this project turning out any more amazing than it has, without them.

SM: OKAY, SO I KNOW YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO HAVE YOUR ALBUM RELEASE PARTY EARLIER THIS MONTH, BUT THE SNOWY WEATHER CAUSED YOU TO RESCHEDULE. WHEN WILL YOU BE HAVING YOUR ALBUM RELEASE PARTY?

Micki B.: Hopefully, we want this project to be done by March 2010…Maybe there will be a warmer feeling in the air by then. (Laughs) We have had a rough winter, so far, here in Philly. We have also had some setbacks here and there and, as you know, in this business you can’t do it all alone. So, sometimes, unfortunately, waiting is required.

SM: I FEEL YOU ON THAT...I ALSO NOTICED, WHILE VISITING YOUR WEBSITE {www.MickiBarocca.com}, THAT YOU'VE BEEN WRITING POETRY FOR 17 YEARS. HAVE YOU EVER USED YOUR POETRY TO ASSIST YOU WITH SONGWRITING?

Micki B.: I, actually, use my poetic vision when writing songs. I have used poems, as a matter of fact, to inspire various songs, such as the song “Water” that you will hear on the album. 

SM: NOW, ASIDE FROM YOUR MUSIC, I READ YOUR POEM "HIGH OFF LOVE" FROM YOUR FORTHCOMING POETRY BOOK, "EVERYTHING, BUT NOTHING", AND IT'S A BEAUTIFUL POEM!! SHARE MORE WITH US ABOUT "EVERYTHING, BUT NOTHING".

Micki B.: Thank you…I am glad that you dig that piece. Though I have been writing for some time now, this is my first book of poetry that I will be releasing. It is a collection of thoughts, meditations, poetry, and spoken word concerning things I have experienced, witnessed, or have just envisioned. Some of the topics you will find in this book are “love”, “regret”, “freedom”, “family”, “unity”, “self-motivation”, and “forward movement”. The inspiration for the title comes from the fact that, even with all that has been said through the pages of this book, there is yet so much more to be said. I think that the fans will be in for a treat with this small piece of creation.

SM: I'M ALSO A POET, SO I'M LOOKING FORWARD TO READING "EVERYTHING, BUT NOTHING"...IN WHAT WAYS CAN YOUR FANS, AND FUTURE FANS, FOLLOW YOUR MUSIC AND POETRY?

Micki B.: My fans can reach me on the website. Everyone can reach me at the following places on the web: www.mickibarocca.com, MySpace.com/mickibarocca, Facebook, and Reverbnation.com. Lastly, I want to say that it has been my pleasure to do this interview, and I want to thank Shamora and the staff at “S.T.I.L.L. Magazine” for providing me the space to share, elevate, and fly. Peace and blessings for 2010.