Get your STILLMAG.COM and S.T.I.L.L. Magazine© Merch HERE!!!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

"TRIGGA T.R.I.G. -- 'Ego Trip'N'"

By Shamora Evans

SM: First, I wanna chat with you about a few of the songs on your MySpace page, especially "Welcome 2 the Dmix" featuring "Delaware". As a native Delawarean, I was excited to hear this song. Tell us about some of the artists on the track.

TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: The artists that are on the "Welcome 2 the Dmix"...We have myself, an artist named "G.I.Z.", we got “Swish Maddi”, and we had "Angel DeMar", who works with Universal. On the track was also my label mate, “Young Kolb”, "Ques", and he used to be in a group called "Two of a Kind", "Phame Ophishal", "A.B.", and "Jon Conner". Those are the artists on that song, from the different parts of Delaware, and this song will be on my upcoming album. But, right now we're working on the mix-tape, "Ego Trip’N”, and my single that's available right now on iTunes is "It’s About Time".

SM: Another song I like on your page is "Live..." featuring "B2daDot" and "Young Kolb". How did you hook up with them for this track, and what was your inspiration for this song?

TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: Well, that kinda sorta just happened...As you know, "Young Kolb" is my label mate, and he just happened to come in the studio that day. And he said, "Yo, I got these beats", and I went through them, and I fell in love with that one. I've had a lot of obstacles come my way, on a personal level, and financial level. My mother passed, and the very last time I saw my mother alive was in Atlanta, Georgia at the "Underground" mall, and she gave me a poster with a poem on it. And the title of the poem on the poster was "Don't quit", and my mom loved my music, and she pushed me to be all I can, but she didn't really want music to be my focus. She wanted me to be like, a doctor or lawyer, or something like that. But, that ain't really where my heart was. So, the inspiration for that song came from my mom...Just live.

SM: Alright, so now let's talk about "It's About Time" because that's another one of my favorites. I heard you shout out "Castro" for his production on the track; how many other songs has "Castro" produced for you?

TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: About eight, maybe. My album is just about finished. It's in the mixing stages, and he has about eight production credits on it.

SM: Cool! Who are your current label mates on "Free Agent Enterprises"?

TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: My label mates are "Chucky Boy", "Young Kolb", and "Cartier Kitten".

SM: What are you working on in the studio right now, as far as an album or mix-tape?

TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: Right now, what's next to come out is my mix-tape. And what I'm getting ready to put out is "Ego Trip’N'". I have my album, "American Me" coming out soon, and that's where the song "It's About Time" comes from...It's my first single from the album, actually. And, I have a ‘Free Agents’ album coming out called “Freedom”, and a project with "DJ Whutitdew". There's also a project that I'm working on with "DJ Lazy K" called "Trig On Demand".

SM: How will your mix-tape series be different than what you produce for your first album?

TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: Well, on most of my mix-tapes, I make a lot of good songs, but they're still kinda 'scratching the surface'. When it comes to the album, I'm giving you my heart, my thoughts, my opinions. It's not so much about 'bars' on my album, but on my mix-tape, it's about 'bars' because everyone wants to make sure that you can rap. But, when it comes to my album, you can tell that bars is not what the focus is...I need you to dance with me, I need you to party with me, and "feel me" on the tracks when I do my album.

SM: That's what's good! Now, I saw a video on your MySpace page labeled "Equator Lounge Show Footage" Part 1, and it piqued my curiosity. Share more about the "Equator Lounge Show Footage".

TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: I had a show at the "Equator Lounge" in Newark, Delaware, and they threw parties there on Thursdays, and they'd have shows and have people come out and perform. And, it just happens that night I was a "special invited guest”, so I performed "Welcome 2 the Dmix", and a lot of other songs.

SM: Okay, so where did you get your stage name? How did you become "Trigga T.R.I.G."?

TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: Well, I've been 'Trig' since high school, but that was just what people called me. But, 'Trigga T.R.I.G.' came from the first video that I did called "American Hoodlum", and that featured 'Young Kolb' and 'Chucky Boy'. In my first bar I say, 'Trigga Trig, the nigga that get it crackin'", and that was the first introduction to the concept of 'Trigga Trig'. Then, later on, I accidentally made a statement that became my catch phrase; "It's Trigga T.R.I.G.; I know where you niggas live". I don't know why, but that's what birthed it.

SM: What would you say is the best part about doing a live show, and what's the worse part?

TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: The best part about doing a live show is I love what I do, so the whole time I'm having a blast. I'm probably smashed, and I'm having a blast because I love to perform. That's what I do...The worse part about doing a live show is if the 'sound man' is a "hater", and I need him to turn my music up. (Laughs) I need my music loud, I need my drink in me, and I'ma make the energy high.

SM: Where can your fans watch you perform live, and how can they contact you to share their "luv" and comments?


TRIGGA T.R.I.G.: Well, my fans can watch me perform live at www.freeagentent.com. I also throw parties in Wilmington, Delaware on Fourth Street, like, Fourth and Greenhill Avenue every Wednesday, so they can catch me there. I can't guarantee that you'll see me perform there, but I'll be there! (Laughs) Follow me on Twitter [@TriggaTRIG], or keep up with me on MySpace.com/Trigga.TRIG…Better yet, just log on www.FreeAgentEnt.com.